(for female adult volunteers)
The Big Sisters Mentoring program provides girls and young women ages 6-16 with a role model and a friend to talk to and share the experiences of growing up with. Through regular outings, a relationship is developed between the mentor and the mentee, that is built on trust and common interests, and is supported by our experienced case-workers. The result is a life-changing experience for both the mentor and the mentee.
The Big Sisters Mentoring program requires 2+ hours each week with scheduled outings and a minimum of 1 year committment.
The program strives to do the following:
- provide a role model and a friend for girls and young women
- promote the importance of staying in school and healthy relationships with family and peers
- instill trust and self-confidence in order to make healthy decisions
- encourage leadership skills and independent thinking
- and above all, make a difference while having fun
If you’re interested in becoming a Big Sister, click here to fill out our Volunteer Contact Form
Who can volunteer?
You can! A "typical" Big Sister is a caring, responsible woman who is over the age of 18. Our volunteers come from diverse backgrounds and from all walks of life. No special skills or experience are needed. All you need is a little time and enthusiasm.
Check for Eligibility
- I am 18 years or older
- I have lived in the St. Catharines area for a minimum of 6 months.
Submit an Application
- You may choose to complete a Volunteer Contact Form online or you may contact our agency.
- Once we receive your inquiry, we will set up an orientation session where mentoring programs are reviewed. The application process will be initiated once the application is complete.
- Due to long wait times for a Vulnerable Sector Scan (4-6 weeks), we suggest that applicants begin the police check process prior to their Orientation Meeting. You may apply in person to your local police station or the closest OPP detachment. Some police stations require a letter stating your Volunteer position to complete a Vulnerable Sector Scan. Volunteer letters can be provided upon request by Justin Nelson at email@example.com or 905-646-3230 ext. 35
- You can also complete an online Vulnerable Sector Scan if: 1. You have been living in Canada for 1 year 2. You have credit history 3. You are over the age of 21 Visit http://www.policesolutions.ca/checks/services/niagara/